My "Grades" (starting at the foundation of the "Pyramid for Success"):
- Industriousness - "Success travels in the company of very hard work. There is no trick, no easy way." I earned an "A" - I met with people throughout the sport industry to learn about how business is conducted in this region and what is needed for Success.
- Friendship - "Strive to build a team filled with camaraderie and respect: comrades-in-arms." I earned an "A" - Through connections made while I was a professor and new connections made since leaving my former employer; I have built a team full of camaraderie.
- Loyalty - "Be true to yourself. Be true to those you lead." I earned a "B". I wasn't 100% "true to myself" by being away from active involvement with sport as a coach/administrator over the 23 months of being in the region. My focus was on aligning with organizations to develop human capital for the region's potential.
- Cooperation - "Have utmost concern for What's right rather than Who's Right." I earned an "A".
- Enthusiasm - "Your energy, enjoyment, drive, and dedication will stimulate and greatly inspire others." I earned an "A".
- Self-Control - "Control of your organization begins with control of yourself. Be disciplined." I earned a "B". I veered off course by focusing on the need for a sport culture.
- Alertness - "Constantly be aware and observing. Always seek to improve yourself and the team. I earned an "A". My alertness has brought me to great realizations and refocused efforts.
- Initiative - "Make a decision! Failure to act is often the biggest failure of all." I earned an "A".
- Intentness - "Stay the course. When thwarted try again, harder, smarter; persevere relentlessly. I earned an "A". I left it all out on the court (or in my case, the track)..
- Condition - "Ability may get you to the top; but character keeps you there: mentally, morally and physically." I earned an "A".
- Skill - "What a leader learns after you've learned it all counts most of all." I earned an "A". The experience of starting a business as a sport consultant in a region virtually untapped has afforded me with sharpened knowledge and appreciation of sport to a culture.
- Team Spirit - "The star of the team is the team. 'We' supersedes 'Me'" I earned an "A". Perhaps the BEST move I made the entire year of Athletic Mindset Consulting was to become a member of a national team to revise the occupational handbook; and develop continuing education units as part of a national pilot project.
- Poise - "Be Yourself. Don't be thrown off by events whether good or bad." I earned an "A". The strengthening of my poise over the past 23 months has been greater than I could have ever scripted for myself.
- Confidence - "The strongest steel is well-founded self-belief; it is earned, not given." I earned an "A". Though there were times I felt like I was faltering; I was steadying myself.
- Competitive Greatness - "Perform at your best when your best is required. Your best is required each day." I earned an "A".
So, now that I've gotten my grades; I am taking my 10 "A's" and 2 "B's" and focusing as Coach Wooden said, by "Doing the Best of Which I Am Capable....by COACHING!